How to Push Yourself When Running
Do you like to run or do you run in gym class, races, etc? You can run your best by pushing yourself and to forget that you are pushing yourself, here is help.
Make sure you are properly hydrated before you run.
Get your favorite or a song you like stuck in your head. Try something like Lose Control – Missy Elliot or Don’t Stop Me Now – Queen (to name a few).
When you run, breathing can be a problem. Make a beat to breathe to so you are not breathing unevenly and mess up.
If you are in a race or a gym class, running with a lot of people and there are people a little faster than you, choose one to stick with. Keep at their pace, but if they don’t keep the same pace, don’t run with them. Just try to keep up. Don’t let yourself fall behind. It is hard, but not only is it physical it is mental. So you have to tell yourself to keep it up and never slow down. Try to ease any pain and tiredness by talking to yourself (in your head so you don’t waste your breath).
Tell yourself to keep up the good work and just stay at that pace. Listening to music while running is a great motivator.
Do Not Stop! When you reach the point where you feel that your legs are going to explode, just keep running! Mind over matter- if you keep running, you can ignore it. Sure, it can be VERY hard to ignore that pain, but focus on something completely different, just make sure you keep on running.
- If you find yourself wanting to slow down, think that the faster you run the quicker you’re done, and the you’ll feel better sooner.
- Keep running till you feel like you HAVE to stop. Then think in your head to stop in 10 seconds but when you get to 3 seconds just go back to 10.
- When you begin to feel tired, don’t stop, make yourself feel good. Try thinking things like “just keep running until you get to the finish line (or an object up ahead).” Once you get there find another object to run to. Before you know it, you will have made it to the finish line, without having to stop once.
- If you are getting side cramps, try to run through them, if it has been a minute or 2 and they haven’t gotten better, slow down to a slower run or jog, but don’t stop (unless you need to). A good trick to get rid of side cramps is to find the side that has a cramp (left or right) and every step that you take with the foot on the cramped side, exhale firmly. The cramp should go away in about 30 seconds.
- If you’re in serious pain, you should stop because you probably hurt or pulled something.